10 THINGS YOU CAN DO TODAY TO LEAVE A LEGACY
- Prepare a will. More than 50% of Canadians die without a will. Without one, you lose control of the assets you worked a lifetime to acquire.
- Leave gifts in your will for the charitable organizations that have made a difference in your life. Fewer than 10% of households in Canada actually make a charitable bequest. Imagine the positive impact in your community if everyone made even a modest donation to a favorite non-profit organization.
- Leave a specific dollar amount or a percentage of your estate to your favorite charities. The provision can be part of a new will or added to your existing will as a codicil.
- “Endow” your annual gift to your favorite charity by making a bequest equal to 20 times that amount.
- Name your favorite charity as the beneficiary of your RRSP’s or pension plan.
- Name your favorite charity as the beneficiary of a new or existing life insurance policy.
- Make a gift of a new or existing life insurance policy to your favorite charity.
- Remember deceased loved ones with memorial gifts to charities.
- Encourage family members and friends to leave gifts to charities in their wills.
- Ask your financial advisor to include charitable giving as part of his/her counsel to other clients
Individuals and families who make planned gifts and endowments to the Trenton Memorial Hospital Foundation will become members of “The Cornerstone Society”; an honoured group of caring people recognized for their commitment to QH – Trenton Memorial Hospital and the community.
As a member of The Cornerstone Society, you will be recognized with a special place on our Donor Recognition Wall at the hospital upon receipt of your gift. You will receive our Hospital and Foundation reports, newsletters, and other communications with news on our Planned Giving Program. In addition, you will receive special invitations to Hospital and Foundation events and a special pin to identify you as an honoured member of “The Cornerstone Society”.